Ruark & Wyatt logo

Maxxis Tire Technical Center

 

IVC US Headquarters and manufacturing facility

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Expertise

 

Distribution Facilities & Warehouses

Ruark & Wyatt's principals have designed more than 30 million square feet of office/distribution facilities and warehouses, and we've master planned over 3,000 acres of industrial parks. We've designed millions of square feet of tenant build-outs.

"With your help, we exceeded the client's expectations on each of the three Gatorade projects, allowing us to focus on the business of getting the projects built."
— Todd Osborne. Choate Construction Company

 

What Makes a Successful Distribution/Warehouse Project?

A successful warehouse is all about efficiency. As a project type, a warehouse is inexpensive per square foot, but it's cost effective only when it's designed with care and experience. The appearance of a warehouse is only about 10% of the process; the other 90% is about how it's designed and assembled. Which wall type makes sense for your project…tilt-up concrete, masonry or pre-cast? Which type of roof…metal roof, EPDM or TPO? Does your insurance company have special requirements for your building (roof type, sprinkler type, life safety issues, etc.) that will increase your building costs? We help clients work through the pros and cons of each decision based on your schedule, construction costs, maintenance requirements, future needs and many other factors.

Every design decision can have a major—and sometimes unexpected—impact on another aspect of the project. For example, the shelving type and racking height both affect the type of sprinkler system, which, in turn, determines how much material (and what kind of material) you can store in your building. These seemingly small decisions—and many others—can have a dramatic effect on the overall building cost and efficiency.

Bottom line: we understand that a hastily made cost-saving decision can actually cost a lot more somewhere else in the construction schedule, building functionality or overall building cost. Our decisions are backed up by millions of square feet worth of experience, enabling us to get you up and running quickly, in a better building with better value.

 

Industrial & Manufacturing Facilities

Ruark & Wyatt's principals have designed nearly two million square feet of industrial and manufacturing projects, including five major projects in the past five years. These facilities include blow-molding operations, vinyl floor manufacturing, precision machinery assembly, chemical manufacturing, manufacture of architectural building products, etc.

“You bend over backwards to make sure our projects go as smoothly as possible."
— Todd Osborne, Choate Construction Company

 

What Makes a Manufacturing Project Successful?

A building design can help or hinder the client's manufacturing operations. A client may envision a simple, empty box but it's much more than that. By learning the nature and specifics of each client's operation and equipment, we can help the client make informed decisions about design, costs, building schedule and functionality. The more we know, the better the building will suit your needs.

We ask questions. Will you need bridge cranes? They may require special columns. Does your equipment need special foundations to keep from rattling the building? Will you need process piping? If so, we'll go over the pros and cons of floor-mount vs. roof-mount. Do you want clerestory windows to save money on energy? In short, we give you options and alternatives and help you weigh functionality vs. cost-effectiveness.

We assess the client's building program and point out certain aspects that may be prohibitively expensive or unnecessarily complex; a small adjustment to the program or the operating process might yield a big savings in building cost or efficiency. Do you truly need 80-foot column bays? This is significantly more expensive than a more typical 50- to 60-foot spacing. Yes, it's possible to build a two-story office inside the building shell, but a single-story office is more economical. Can we consolidate the special structural requirements into certain zones within the building to save money? How can we design the initial building to better facilitate future expansion or other needs that change over time?

Bottom line: each requirement and design decision affects another part of the building or operation. Our goal is to help guide the team—client, architects, engineers and contractors—to a mutual understanding of the true building requirements, then work together to give you an efficient, cost-effective building that truly works for you.

"I can highly recommend Ruark & Wyatt Architects to any owner looking for a very personal, pragmatic, financially competitive and extremely dedicated design team with lots of field experience."
— Xavier Steyaert. CEO of IVC US, Inc.